I wasn’t sure if I should post my humble lunch today. It’s too plain and simple and it may not appeal to anyone, that was my entire thought process. In the end, yes, I decided to because it is a quick fix meal for those overwhelming days or the days when someone is sick and needs warm and comforting soup. My apologies if this entire post sounds boring.
So this was what I had for lunch – chicken macaroni soup. It’s not something to rave about, but my daughter likes this simple dish and we have it quite regularly. It’s not on my husband’s list of likes so most times I cook this for lunch when it’s just me and my girl at home.
The main ingredients for this dish are macaroni, chicken bones and chicken breast. I boil the chicken bones and chicken breast to get a nice, clear broth. You can also use packed chicken or vegetable broth if you prefer. My sides are baby bok choy and fish cake and I finish by garnishing with sliced red chillis and parsley. I think my bowl had so much vegetables you can hardly tell if there’s macaroni. Sorry, I love my veggies more. There’s definitely macaroni under all the greens.
Chicken Macaroni Soup
Half a chicken breast/ One chicken thigh (you can adjust the quantity to your preference)
1 litre water
2 chicken bones
4 stalks baby bok choy
2 pieces fish cake (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 red chilli, sliced
a few leaves of parsley
Note: You can also use boxed chicken or vegetable broth. Cook the broth as per the given instructions and add chicken breast to the broth to cook. If the broth already has salt added, you can omit the salt.
- In a large pot, boil 1 litre of water. When it comes to a rolling boil, add in chicken bones and chicken breast and boil over medium for 15 minutes. Remove the scum on the surface so that the soup will be clear.
- Remove the chicken bones and chicken breast from the pot. Let the chicken cool before shredding.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt to soup, then add 1 teaspoon sesame oil for flavour.
- Pan fry fish cake and cut into strips when cooled.
- In another pot, boil water to cook macaroni.
- When the water comes to a rolling boil, add macaroni and let it cook for 8 minutes.
- Transfer macaroni into two bowls when it has cooked.
- Blanch baby bok choy in scalding water for one minute.
- Arrange baby bok choy, shredded chicken and fish cake on top of macaroni and ladle soup over.
- Garnish with parsley and sliced chillis.
Enjoy a comforting meal ♥