Do you look forward to breakfast each morning? I do, because I get peckish around one hour after waking up. I can’t do without breakfast. My concentration dips when I haven’t eaten. I need to kick-start my engine with some breakfast food and a cup of coffee. I start my mornings with a glass of water. An hour later, I will have my breakfast, usually a sandwich or muffin with coffee. I have a coffee addiction so coffee with milk is a must. Once that’s done, I have the energy to work my way through the morning.
I love making bread and muffins for breakfast. But recently, I was hoping to make some granola to go with yogurt and fruit for breakfast. I’m trying to incorporate more whole grains into our diet and I think adding oats into our breakfast is a great way to healthier eating.
Oats are a good source of carbohydrates, fibre, important vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants. They are gluten-free whole grains and they contain more protein and fat than most other grains. Some of the benefits of eating oats include lowering blood sugar and cholesterol levels, protection against skin irritation and reduced constipation. Since oats is very filling, it is also a weight-loss friendly food.
In this easy homemade granola recipe, I added peanut butter to the mix because we love peanut butter. I also added some chopped almonds. This is optional. I had some leftover almonds and I thought it would give a nice crunchy texture and added nutty flavour.
Homemade Peanut Butter Granola
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees celcius.
- Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together oats, almonds, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a microwave-safe dish or over the stove top, melt peanut butter and honey together till you get a smooth consistency.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Add peanut butter and honey mixture into dry ingredients and stir till well combined.
- Spread mixture on lined cookie sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until granola is lightly browned. Halfway through baking, stir the granola to get even cooking and browning.
- Remove from oven and allow it to cool completely.
- Store in air-tight jar.
I was happy with the result of the granola. It was crunchy, lightly sweet and nutty. I had a hearty breakfast of yogurt and blueberries topped with granola. It was delicious and filling. The best thing was that it was nutritious. I stored the granola in a glass jar and I think it will be gone in no time since there are so many ways to eat granola. It can be eaten on its own or with milk. It can also be a topping for fudge, added to a peanut butter sandwich or parfait, or even used in baking cookies, bars or cake etc. The good thing is that it is so easy to put together a fresh batch anytime because the ingredients and steps are very simple. I hope you enjoy this granola as much as I did ♥