I love a good chocolate chip cookie and one that is lower in calories makes me happier. I can eat one or two more without feeling too guilty. Okay, I try not to eat more than three in a day. I made a small batch of chocolate chip oatmeal cookies yesterday. Most recipes call for both brown and white sugar but I used only brown sugar for this one. I have sensitive teeth and I can’t go for anything that is very sweet. Plus it is healthier to use less sugar. Personally, I found the sweetness just right because the semi-sweet chocolate chips added sweetness to each bite. It was a right balance for me. I also used coconut oil instead of butter so that the cookies will be a tad healthier without compromising taste.
Indeed, these cookies taste really good and they make a great snack for school, work or home. It was so easy to whip up as well. It took about twenty minutes to prep, and another twelve minutes to bake. And I only had to wash one bowl. Wow! The weather these days is 34C and staying in the kitchen for too long is not so fun so I really like something easy and simple like this.
Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Ingredients (about 1 dozen cookies):
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup instant oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 175C.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk coconut oil and light brown sugar till well incorporated using a hand whisk.
- Add egg and then vanilla and mix well.
- Sift over all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt over the wet mixture. Using a spatula, fold everything well, then add oats and chocolate chips. Fold till well incorporated.
- Spoon cookie batter onto baking sheet. Space them out to allow cookies to spread while baking.
- Bake for 12 minutes or till golden brown.
- Allow cookies to cool completely and store in an air-tight jar or container.