I had planned on making a banana quick bread this morning but I was afraid the family will be tired of the plain banana quick bread. It suddenly dawned on me that I had some frozen strawberries stored away. So the banana quick bread turned into strawberry banana muffins. I decided to make them into muffins instead of a loaf bread so I didn’t have to spend time slicing the loaf and washing additional utensils.
The muffins turned out moist, sweet and a little tangy. They make for a good breakfast and snack. If you have little ones who are always hungry and looking for food, you can try making these muffins. They are easy to make and ready in no time. No major prep required and you probably need to take 20 minutes to put them all together, another 20 minutes of bake time, and you are ready for some wholesome and delicious snack.
Strawberry Banana Muffins (12 small muffins)
- 1 egg
- 50g brown sugar
- 1 over-riped banana, mashed
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced and slightly coated with all-purpose flour
- 50ml milk
- 50ml coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 120g all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 175C.
- Line muffin tin with cupcake liners or lightly grease with cooking spray.
- Whisk egg and brown sugar together till sugar is dissolved.
- Pour in milk and whisk together.
- Add in mashed banana and whisk together.
- Pour in coconut oil or vegetable oil and whisk together till everything is combined. Note: I used coconut oil but any vegetable oil or melted butter will work fine.
- Set aside.
- Sift all-purpose flour, salt and baking soda into another bowl. Mix well.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture.
- Pour wet ingredients into the well and fold mixture together. Halfway through folding, add in strawberries and continue folding. Make light and quick folds to avoid getting hard muffins.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or till muffins turn golden brown and skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before enjoying them.