Any breakfast lovers out there? I am a breakfast person. I can’t function if I don’t eat in the morning. In this blog there are more breakfast recipes than lunch or dinner recipes. I have a sweet tooth and I love baking breads, muffins and cake to have them for breakfast or tea.
Today, I had an urge to make blueberry muffins because I had some blueberries in the freezer. So I quickly prepped everything and had my muffins ready in 45 minutes. I added oatmeal to make the muffins healthier and also more filling.
A thing or two about blueberries – They are a super food packed with many nutrients. They are high in antioxidants and low in calories. They support digestion and weight loss, promote heart health, as well as boosts brain power. They are delicious eaten fresh with yogurt, blended into smoothies, or just as they are. These amazing berries make all kinds of bakes so delicious as well.
Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
Ingredients (for 6 muffins):
- 60g all-purpose flour
- 60g instant oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 40g brown sugar
- 50ml milk
- 40ml vegetable oil (I used canola oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup blueberrries, lightly tossed in all-purpose flour
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degree celcius.
- Fill muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Sift all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add instant oats to the flour mixture, lightly mix them together and set aside.
- Using a hand whisk, whisk egg and brown sugar together until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Add milk, vanilla and oil, whisking after each addition of ingredient.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, then pour the wet ingredients into the well.
- Make a few light folds to the wet and dry ingredients then add blueberries and fold a few more times until no traces of flour is seen.
- Spoon batter into cupcake liners until about 2/3 full.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 20 minutes.
These muffins taste really good. They are moist and not overly sweet. I will double the recipe the next time so that I can freeze and have them as and when I need to grab a quick breakfast.